Due to lack of missionaries and other Protestant churches in Hanna during the pioneer days, the First Presbyterian Church was always a "United Church". In later years there was no conflict over the vote when it came time to join the mother churches in union.
The first service held on the townsite of Hanna was held in the unfinished building to be used for the Brown Pool Hall. The missionary was a young Irishman by the name of Thomas Warwick, who had come to the district in the spring of 1910 as a homesteader.
The service was held during July or the very early part of August 1912. The unfinished building had no roof nor were there doors or windows. The weather was very warm and the mosquitoes innumerable. A small smudge was built and the small gathering proceeded with their worship.
A short time later, the Ladies' Aid was organized and regular meetings were held. The first meeting was held at the home of Mrs. W.C. Stirling.
The first copy of the Hanna Herald, printed on Christmas Eve 1912 announced church services under Rev. J.J. Samuels as pastor. He was the first ordained minister to the Church and preached his farewell sermon on May 25, 1913, after which he returned to Toronto. The Stirling Hall (Herald Hall) was used for church services during those early years.
The first meeting of the Ladies' Aid reported by The Hanna Herald was on February 5, 1913 and was held at the home of Mrs. John Backstrom. However others had been held during 1912.
On January 19, 1913 the first congregational meeting of the Presbyterians and Methodists was held in the Herald Hall. Rev. J.J. Samuels in the chair; Mr. O.C. Smith, Secretary pro tem. Mention was made that a "board of managers had laid the foundation for a new church edifice". It was located at the corner of 4th Avenue and 2nd Street East. The modern church is now located on North Government Road across from the hospital.
Text courtesy of The Hanna Herald
Sod Shack - pioneer reading bible