Golf in Hanna began by local enthusiasts banding together to form a club in about May of 1921. The membership ran $10.00 for gentlemen, $5.00 for ladies and the club boasted a membership of 30 men and 10 ladies. The club secured the rights to the grounds on the quarter section lying immediately north of the town and a nine hole, 27 - 2800 yd. course was roughly laid out. Helping the club design and supervise the building of the course was golf professional, Mr. Jackson Walton, from Calgary. By roughly May 22, 1921 most of the work was finished on the course and the greens were being finished. The greens took longer because the sod had to be removed and a covering of oil-soaked sand put on all nine greens unlike the present grass greens. At this time there was no clubhouse built and a tool shed 6' x 8' used.
In 1983 the existing course was rebuilt by professional golf architects and is probably one of the best rural 9 hole layouts in Alberta. The new design makes maximum use of existing terrain and includes new greens, sand traps and ponds. It measures 3,298 yds. from the championship tees. The Golf Club retains a current membership of almost 300 members. Each season more district people become involved in golf and Hanna is becoming known along Highway 9 as a good place to stop for a game of golf.
Text courtesy of The Hanna Herald
The old Golf Course before trees
Senior's Golf, 1986