Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Text Size

Pioneer Agriculture

National Hotel - the original look before 1920 National Hotel - the original look before 1920

 

The crop of 1912 was very good but was sold and used within the district as feed and seed. It was a good thing to be used for in that manner as there was no transportation from the area and successive crops could have become a burden.

On December 1912 Hanna was promised that within a few weeks elevators and warehouses so that "Farmers may receive cash for a load of grain" will be built by the Walridge Grain Co. and the Alberta Pacific Grain Co.

The weather during the fall and winter of 1912-13 was ideal. By New Year there was no snow and the daily temperatures were reaching 50 degrees.

J.V. O'Neil reported 6062 bushels of oats from 110 acres at Solon. Grade C.W. Oats .21; No. 3 Barley .34; No. 1 Flax .90. January 30, 1913. They were threshing at Wildunn on C.F. Meadows farm. Butter was twenty-five cents a pound.

An editorial in the Hanna Herald complained that there was still no grain buyer in Town. That paper also advertised that the Security Trust would lend money at 8 percent.

February 13, 1913, they were threshing at Kirby Bros. at Dowling Lake. February 20, 1913 at Parr, Dan Fowler threshed a heavy crop of oats while at Centre Point preparations were being made to start seeding.

February 27, 1913. The Government suggested that seed be sent to the laboratory to be tested free. Sample bags would be sent from Calgary that would hold about one thousand seeds. March 6, 1913. Farmers were encouraged to display more interest in mixed farming.

On January 9, 1913 a delegation went to Winnipeg to interview Dr. Roach, Minister of the Interior, with a view to having a Lanf Office established in Hanna.

On March 9, 1913, J.C. Trenaman was appointed as Dominion Lands Agent. March 13, 1913. The U.F.A. was organized at Solon. March 24, 1913. The Sub-agency of the Dominion Lands opened their office under J.C. Trenaman at the corner of Main Street and Second Avenue.

April 24, 1913. It was planned to name 150 weed inspectors in Alberta. By May 8, 1913 ninety percent of the grain had been planted, which was earlier than the previous year. There were reports of need of rain from some districts but the last part of June brought enough rain to ensure a bumper crop for 1913.

By the beginning of August it was evident there would be need for extra labor to take off another bumper crop. The Hanna Herald of August 7, 1913 offered its services as an employment agency for the farmers. That fall many homesteaders proved up on their homesteads, although by the release of other lands 1914 became known as "the homestead year".

Text courtesy of The Hanna Herald

Naming A Town

Copeville Store about six miles east of present townsite