Saturday, November 18, 2017
Text Size

Lillico

Hanna Hornets, 1953 - 54 Hanna Hornets, 1953 - 54

 

With the settlers, buildings sprung up. Lillico was the first post office in 1909 and in 1910 Lillico school was built. In this building settlers attended church led by their minister Mr. S. Brook. 1910 was a year to remember with pioneers like Wm. Nixon, Harvey Nixon, Shorty Carr and Elmer Marr trailing cattle overland from Crossfield. Reg. Stovel decided homesteading was for him so he bought two cows, the only livestock available in Calgary and drove out to Craigmyle. Prairie fire swept through, damaging many acres of choice grassland.

In 1911, Lewis Branum, the John Nixon family and the A.P. Geissinger family, settled in Craigmyle. The Hammond school, named for the first woman homesteader in the district, was built one mile east and a half mile south of the village. Victor Hall was built in 1911, and the grade was put through for the railroad.

1912 saw the steel laid and the hearts of our pioneers were happy as they built their Craigmyle Trading Co. store, and post office in the same building. A livery barn was operated by the Thompson Bros. from Halkirk. Dad Colville operated the A.P. elevator and Archie Fleming had the first implement business for I.H.C.

1913 brought Dr. Crawford to the village and he served the district for many years. Crown Lumber erected a building with George Delsing as manager. H.E. Gage opened a harness shop, and Theo De Pencier started a butcher shop. With money coming in the Royal Bank raised a building with manager Hutchings. Tom McKee and Claude Franks decided our pioneers needed haircuts and recreation so they put up a barber shop and pool room. Hawk Eilertson was manager of the U.G.G. Elevator. Mr. Latham set up a blacksmith shop. Jack Remington started a hotel and restaurant. Ginger Nixon, Sidney Brook, Scotty Edgar and Frank Porter operated the first steam threshing outfit. Contractors Sandy Munroe and Murdo McGregor were in Business. The Stanley Bros. bought in the first hardware. D.G. Innes built a store and Clem Bell bought Craigmyle Trading Co. Craigmyle was on its way.

But with this wonderful new country of ours opening up came grave responsibilities. War clouds loomed over the land of our ancestors and Canada went to war in 1914. Boys, then, such as Louis Golds, Frank Burroughs, Everett Howard, Ginger Nixon, Howard Fennell, Jay Kirkeby, Grant Wylie, Ernie White Sydney Brook, Col. Robt. Eaton, Jim Anderson, Dave Finlay, Bob Gordon, answered the call as Canadians have always done. However life in Canada progresses. In 1914 Bill Anderson bought the blacksmith shop from Mr. Latham. C.L. Sitlington bought the hardware from the Stanley Bros., Backus opened a dairy. George Delsing and Pat Thompson had a car. Nurse Hector was here.

The United Church was built in '15. The station burned down and the blazing shingles started another prairie fire. 1915-16-17 and time is marching on. Craigmyle grew with its farming and ranching district.

Text courtesy of The Hanna Herald

More in this category: « Craigmyle Named Watts »