Friday, November 15, 2019
Text Size

Doing Business in Hanna

Starting or Expanding

Thinking of starting or expanding your business in Hanna?  Good choice! Hanna is a great place for entrepreneurs and their innovative business ideas.  Starting or expanding a business is a challenge and we want to assist you in getting started.  The staff and Councillors work closely with  Employment, Immigration & Industry, Meridian Community Futures Development Corporation (MCFDC) and with regional and provincial partners to keep up to date with business developments.  You can download a basic business plan template from this site and assistance in developing a business plan can be obtained from the Town of Hanna, Employment, Immigration & Industry, the Federal Business Development Bank and Meridian Community Futures Development Corporation. Contact information for the above listed agencies can be found below.

If your business plan includes any new construction or a change in use or intensity of your existing business, you may require a development permit and/or other permits.

Rural Alberta Business Center
Craig Berke, Small Business Advisor
401 Centre St.
Hanna, AB 
T0J 1P0
Phone: (403) 854-2099
Toll Free:  1-888-854-2099

Employment, Immigration & Industry
Elvira Smid
Director, Medicine Hat Region
109 Provincial Building 346 – 3 Street S.E.
Medicine Hat AB 
T1A 0G7
Phone: (403)-529-3630
Fax: (403)-529-3140

Meridian Community Futures Development Corporation
Box 2167
Kindersley, SK 
S0L 1S0
Toll Free: 1-888-919-3800
Phone: (306) 463-1850
Fax: (306) 463-1855

Developing a business plan is one of the first steps you should take. The better prepared you are to properly assess the potential risks involved the more likely you are to overcome problems when they occur.

Business Licensing

All businesses wishing to operate or sell goods or services within the Town corporate limits require a Business License. Bylaw Number 889-2000 requires that business licenses be renewed annually, expiring on December 31st of each year. This includes general contractors (construction industry), commercial businesses, home-based businesses and hawkers/peddlers. A charitable or non-profit organization carrying on a business for fund-raising shall be exempt from licensing requirements.

BizPaL Online Business Permits and Licenses is a partnership involving governments at all levels. Provinces, territories, and hundreds of municipalities have collaborated together to provide information regarding the licenses and permits that may be required to start and grow your business. 


Subdivision & Development Appeals     

The Subdivision and Development Appeals Board (SDAB) consists of 5 members appointed by Town Council to adjudicate appeals under the provisions of Part 17, Section 627 of the Municipal Government Act.

Generally speaking, the first step in the development or subdivision procedure is to make an application for approval. This very important step outlines the nature of the development and defines the location, complexity of the project and any impact it may have on surrounding property owners or the community. The applicant must provide enough information for the authority and any other agencies involved to determine if the proposed project is suitable for the development or subdivision to proceed. A decision may be made by the approving authority to approve, approve with conditions or reject the application. All of these decisions are subject to appeal and may even be appealed if no decision is made within a specified time period.

The Appeal Process

The Municipal Government Act sets out the rules and conditions for grounds to appeal.   

Subdivision Appeals May Be Launched:  

If the application is refused; If a decision is not made within 60 days or and agreed to extended date allowed under section 681 (1)(b) of the MGA; If a decision on a subdivision under section 652(4) (lands titled before July 1, 1950) is not made within 21 days.

Who Can Appeal?

The applicant; If the application was referred to any government agency under the Subdivision and Development Regulation, those agencies have the right to appeal; Council of the municipality if the municipality is not the subdivision authority; A school authority regarding allocation of municipal and school reserve, the land, or money in place of the reserve. If a decision (with or with out conditions) is made by a subdivision authority;    

Development Permit Appeals May Be Launched:  

If a permit is issued with or without conditions; If a permit is refused; If a stop order is issued; Where a permit is not issued within 40 days or an agreed-to extended date allowed under section 684 of the MGA. In a case where the permit for a "permitted" use, as described in the land use bylaw is issued, an appeal can only be made if the bylaw was:Rrelaxed; varied; or somehow misinterpreted during the issuance of the permit. No appeal is possible of a "permitted" decision unless a relaxation or variance has been applied for or the affected party or the applicant can show that misinterpretation has occurred. Therefore, if an appellant appeals a "permitted" decision the SDAB may be required to decide whether or not it has the jurisdiction to hear the appeal.

Who Can Appeal?

Any person who is affected by the permit decision (the SDAB will decide who qualifies as an affected person), or the person applying for the permit.

Stop Orders  

Stop orders can be appealed by the following;

Any person who is affected by the order; the registered owner of the property; the person responsible for the contraventions; or the person in possession of the land or buildings.  

Filing An Appeal  

Subdivision Applications Appeals

If a person wishes to appeal a Subdivision Application decision, they must submit a written appeal to the Secretary of the Subdivision Authority stating the reasons for appeal within fourteen (14) days from the time of notice of a decision.

Development Applications Appeals

If a person wishes to appeal a Development Permit Application decision, they must submit a written appeal to the Secretary of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board within a fourteen (14) day appeal period.

According to the Land Use Bylaw 903-2002, an appeal period ends a full fourteen (14) days after the last date a notice of any description was given. The Bylaw states that notification can be carried out in writing, by posting the notice at the site of development, or by placing a notice in the closest available newspaper. Other conditions may apply.

Stop Order Appeals

The timeline for appeal of a stop order differs form the other appeal processes and is subject to the complex nature of the order itself. There are however provisions in the Act to allow for an appeal.


BizPaL Online Business Permits and Licences

BizPaL is an innovative online service that provides entrepreneurs with simplified access to the information on permits and licences that they need to establish and run their businesses. This unique partnership is the result of strong collaboration between the federal, provincial/territorial and local governments and is designed to cut through the paperwork burden and red tape that small business owners encounter.

Finding out which government requirements apply to a certain business type can be time consuming and frustrating. BizPaL was created to help identify what you may require, quickly and easily. The information you need is available from a single source; entrepreneurs spend less time dealing with red tape – saving effort and money in the process – and more time building their business.

The service is the result of combined efforts by the federal, provincial/territorial and participating municipal governments and is designed with the following benefits in mind:


  • It's free to use
  • It saves time
  • It’s available 24/7


Launch the BizPaL service

Our Community