The bumper crop of 1913 helped to overcome the tightness of money and to increase interest in diversified farming. September 14, 1913. The first car of No. 1 grain was shipped by the McCuish Brothers through the Alberta Pacific Grain Co. Iwas Marquis Wheat.
Homesteaders were notified that they could leave their homesteads to help with the harvesting, but they must apply for leave. Later they were told they must return to their homesteads at night as there had been some misunderstanding.
September 25, 1913. It was announced that 400 homesteads were to be thrown open in sixty days. Many of these had been taken up previously but had been released when duties had not been performed.
By now business was improving and taxes coming in well. The crop had overcome the tightness of money which had become apparent in the town the previous months. The National Elevator was very busy. It was still the only one operating in the town. It was operated by Mr. E.R. Moore and he reported that a large percentage of the train coming in was No. 1.
The first shipment of hogs came from C.D. Hessian and was shipped through the offices of J.A. McLure and Co. Hog raising was just getting started in the area and Hessian's large shipment was worthy of mention. The following spring it was remarked that one could not go for a walk without seeing and hearing "millions and millions of pigs".
The fall of 1913 was as beautiful as the previous one with sun every day for two months. The first light snow fell on November 18.
October 23, 1913. A regulation came into effect that threshers must pay a license but were informed that they might keep enough grain to satisfy their bill. December 4, 1913. It was decided there would be a farmers Co-op Elevator in Hanna. By the middle of December the weather was still ideal and wagons were still being used.
An ice house was built by F.B. Randall in which ice would be stored for the following summer. Ice would be obtained from a small lake a mile and a half west of the town. For some time it was called "Bum Lake" but the following summer when it became a favorite picnic spot and a place to go boating, the name was registered as "Lake Hanalta". It has since been drained and cultivated.
Gradually the homesteaders got rid of oxen and replaced them with horses. On January 16, 1913 Mr. G.B. French of Garden Plains disposed of one of his teams and purchased a fine team of horses. Such occurrences were worthy of mention in the paper for some time.
The first Ford of 1913 was bought by Mr. E.W. Campbell from Mr. O.S. Welch of Castor.
About the middle of March 1913 Mr E.A. Johnson had a sale of farm stock. His horses sold for an average of $250.00 and cattle for an average of $73.00.
That week, John Stubbs, a homesteader of Lone Butte went through the spring ice on the Red Deer River with horses and wagon. After getting to shore he went back into the icy water to cut loose his horses. Both were saved but the wagon was left in the river to wait salvaging later in the spring.
A tragedy of that spring was suffered by William Colwell of the Hand Hills. Toward the end of March he was taking twenty-four steers to market and planned to cross the Red Deer River on the Spring ice. The animals broke through and only two were saved.
Text courtesy of The Hanna Herald