Wednesday, April 23, 2014 Subscribe       Search
Business Licensing  Business Licensing  

All businesses wishing to operate or sell goods or services within the Town corporate limits require a Business License. Bylaw Number 889-2000 requires that business licenses be renewed annually, expiring on December 31st of each year. This includes general contractors (construction industry), commercial businesses, home-based businesses and hawkers/peddlers. A charitable or non-profit organization carrying on a business for fund-raising shall be exempt from licensing requirements.

Where do I apply for a license?
Every person applying for a business license can obtain a license application from the town office or by downloading the application found on the Permits & Licensing link on the left hand side of this page. You can submit your application by dropping it off at the Town office between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, or application forms may be mailed or faxed to the Town of Hanna.

Please be aware that if there will be structural changes to a building or a change in use, a Development Permit may be required.  Your project may require a Building Permit as well as other permits.

License Fees:
The Council has passed a Business License Bylaw that requires that businesses pay a license fee to operate within the corporate limits of the Town of Hanna.  The following fees are deemed to be the License fees in accordance with the bylaw.
    Daily Weekly Quarterly Annually
Commercial  N/A N/A $25.00 $50.00 
Residential  N/A N/A $50.00  $100.00 
Non Assessed         
  Residing within a 60km radius of Hanna N/A N/A $50.00 $100.00 
  Residing outside a 60km radius of Hanna $50.00 $100.00  $200.00  $400.00 

Business License - Home Occupation  Business License - Home Occupation  

Many businesses in Hanna had their humble beginnings as a home based occupation or service. This type of business can also be described as an incubator business. Occasionally a new business entrepreneur wishes to test the waters to see if their business idea will float before venturing out to a more traditional "bricks and mortar" operation. Others may not require a storefront or warehouse type of operation at all to carry on a business venture such as a Web based business. A small room in your basement, a computer, a desk and a phone connection to the outside world may be all you require to make your living.
Whatever the case may be, all businesses operating within the Town limits require a business license (some exceptions apply).
The Process
The rules governing Home Occupations can be found in the Land Use Bylaw 903-2002, General Land Use Regulations, Section 52. Before applying for a Business License, the Land Use Bylaw requires that you first take out a Development Permit for Home Occupation. The Bylaw states that home occupations are a discretionary use in all residential districts and are therefore subject to closer scrutiny by the Town, through the Municipal Planning Commission, and by your surrounding neighbours. There is a fourteen day (14) appeal period after the Development Authority grants approval of your development permit application. This allows your neighbours and concerned citizens an opportunity to closely review your application and decide if your proposed business venture will adversely affect them and their neighbourhood. A strict set of rules for home occupations generally reduces their fears and many applications go through without appeal. If there is no appeal after the two week period, the business can then apply for a business license. Business licenses are valid for one year (Jan.1st - Dec. 31st). Reminder notices are sent out in January of each new year, however the onus is on each business to renew annually. Home occupation business licenses can be revoked at any time for breach of the Bylaw.

Development Permit for Home Occupation: $10.00

Business License:
Quarterly: $50.00
Annually:  $100.00

Copyright 2006 by Town of Hanna   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement