The Lifesaving Society designates the third week in July as National Drowning Prevention Week (NDPW) to focus community and media attention on the drowning problem and drowning prevention.
The Canadian Drowning Report - 2018 Edition stated:
- If you’re not within arms’ reach, you’ve gone too far. Always supervise children.
- Boat sober. Alcohol consumption is a factor in almost 40% of boating-related fatalities.
- Choose It. Use It. Always wear a Lifejacket or PFD.
- Not wearing a Lifejacket or PFD was a factor in 82% of boating deaths.
- Approximately 500 Canadians die in preventable water-related incidents annually. Even one drowning is one too many.